Fettucine alla Genovese
Serves: 10Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 Tbsp. grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. pine nuts, toasted
- 1 1⁄3 cups olive oil
- 1⁄8 tsp. plus 1 Tbsp. salt, divided
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut in thin wedges
- 1⁄2 lb. string beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. fettucine
- 1⁄4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Blend the basil leaves, garlic, shredded pecorino cheese, shredded Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil, and 1⁄8 teaspoon salt in a blender for 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth paste forms. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 quarts water in a large pot over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt and potatoes. Bring to a boil, and cook until almost tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add string beans and pasta. Stir well and cook until tender but al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, potatoes, and beans, reserving some of the cooking water to dilute the pesto, if desired. Toss the pasta and vegetables with the pesto, sprinkle with shaved Parmesan, and serve at once.