Fiber-Rich Spaghetti Sauce
Grated carrots add nutrition and fiber to this rich sauce, and help reduce the problem of sauce separation.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 package (8 oz.) sliced mushrooms
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 2 cans (14 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 Tbsp. dried Italian seasoning
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ⅛ tsp. white pepper
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup water
- In large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add celery and mushrooms; cook and stir for 2–3 minutes longer.
- Add tomato paste; let paste brown a bit without stirring (this adds flavor to the sauce).
- Add remaining ingredients and stir gently but thoroughly.
- Bring sauce to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and partially cover. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until sauce is blended and thickened. Serve over hot cooked pasta, couscous, or rice.