Fiery Beef Salad
This entrée salad is somehow hearty and light at the same time. If the weather doesn’t permit grilling, the steak can be broiled instead.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp. chopped serrano chili
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 lb. sirloin steak
- 1 inner stalk lemongrass, finely sliced
- ⅔ cup red onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup cucumber, finely sliced
- ½ cup tomato, finely sliced
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 2 small heads Bibb lettuce
- Preheat grill.
- Combine basil, serrano chilies, garlic, brown sugar, fish sauce, black pepper, and lemon juice in a blender and process until almost smooth; set aside.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper. Grill to medium-rare (about 4 minutes per side), or to your liking. Transfer the steak to a platter, cover with foil, and let rest for 5–10 minutes before carving.
- Slice the beef across the grain into thin slices.
- Place the beef slices, any juices from the platter, and the remaining salad ingredients, except the lettuce, in a large mixing bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat.
- To serve, place lettuce on individual plates and mound the beef mixture on top of the lettuce.