Fiery Indian Potatoes
This unusual potato dish is not for the faint of heart, yet it is a delicious dish and pairs well with thick plain yogurt or as an accompaniment to other vegetarian dishes. Look for the Indian red chili powder at an Indian market; otherwise, use ground cayenne.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil, or more as needed
- ½ cup mango jelly
- 5 dried red chilies, or to taste, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Steam the potato cubes until just tender. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat, and sauté the potatoes for 2 minutes, until just dry. Add the mango jelly, chilies, mustard seeds, turmeric, salt, and pepper and continue cooking over medium heat, stirring, until the seasonings are well mixed and the potatoes begin to brown. Stir in the coriander, garnish with the cilantro, and serve.