Filet Mignon Calzones
This is great with a side salad and perhaps a hot black bean casserole.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ lbs. pizza dough
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- ½ cup beef broth
- ¾ lb. filet mignon, sliced thinly
- 4 slices white American cheese
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
- Heat oven to 450°F. Roll the dough into 4 rounds, each 6–7" across.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, then add the minced onion and sauté. Blend in the flour, then stir in the beef broth and cook until smooth.
- Add the filet and cook for 1 minute. Spoon the filling onto the bottom half of each calzone, adding one slice of cheese to each. Fold the top over and crimp edges closed. Brush the calzones with egg, sprinkle with coarse salt, and use a fork to prick the top in two places.
- Bake the calzones on a preheated heavy baking sheet or pizza stone for about 6 minutes or until very hot and golden brown.