Filet Mignon with Horseradish Cream and Herb Butter
For this rich and flavorful dish, make a compound butter of mixed herbs and garlic. Roll into a log and chill while you prepare the horseradish sauce and steaks.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ lb. butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley, divided
- 1 tsp. finely chopped thyme
- 1 tsp. finely chopped rosemary
- 1 small clove, peeled and finely minced garlic
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. bottled horseradish, drained slightly
- ¼ tsp. hot sauce
- 1½ tsp. salt, divided
- ¾ tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 4 filet mignons (8 oz. each), tied with kitchen twine
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- On a cutting board using a fork, mash butter with 1 tablespoon parsley, thyme, rosemary, and garlic until well blended. Transfer to a sheet of plastic wrap and roll into a log. Cover tightly with the plastic wrap and chill until needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, horseradish, hot sauce, 2 teaspoons parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Season filets with ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook, searing quickly over high, until the underside is browned, about 4 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Flip the filets and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the filets to a plate and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm. Let rest for 4 to 5 minutes. Cut the compound butter into ½" slices.
- Serve steaks topped with a slice of compound butter and the horseradish sauce on the side.