Filipino Chicken Adobo
Make this national dish of the Phillipines by marinating chicken thighs overnight in the classic adobo ingredients of vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, black pepper, and bay leave and then braising it on your stove top.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup light soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 medium lime, cut into wedges
- Place chicken thighs, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, peppercorns, and bay leaves in a bowl or large zip-top bag. Mix well, then refrigerate overnight.
- Pour chicken and marinade into a large saucepan or Dutch oven with a lid. Heat the mixture over medium heat until it boils, cover, and cook for 30 minutes. Uncover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook until the liquid has reduced by 2⁄3 and the chicken is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter, strain sauce over top, and garnish with cilantro and lime. Serve hot.