Finnish Cinnamon Pastries (Korvapuusti)
If someone from Finland offers you a slapped ear, don’t be alarmed. Slapped ears are the Finnish name for rolled cardamom buns with the unique shape.
Serves: 14Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 cup warm whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter, divided
- 1 package active dry yeast (2 1⁄4 tsp.)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. ground cardamom
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sparkling sugar
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon. Grease a large bowl with softened butter.
- In another large bowl, combine the milk, 1⁄4 cup melted butter, yeast, and sugar. Stir in the salt, cardamom, and 1 egg. Stir in 2 cups flour. Gradually incorporate the remaining flour until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. (If using a stand mixer, exchange the mixing paddle for the dough hook after you’ve added the first 2 cups of flour. Use the dough hook to mix and knead the dough as you add the remaining 3 cups of flour.)
- Place the kneaded dough in the buttered bowl, turning once to coat with butter. Cover with a towel and let sit 1 hour, or until doubled.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Punch down the dough and divide into two equal halves. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into an 8-by-14-inch rectangle. Brush with the remaining melted butter and sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Starting from the long side of the rectangle, tightly roll the dough into a log. Use a sharp knife to cut each roll diagonally into 7 triangular rolls (starting at one end of the roll, slant your knife to the right to make the first diagonal cut, then slant it to the left to make the second, producing a triangular slice).
- Place each slice, point facing up, on the prepared baking sheet. With a spoon, gently press down each tip. Cover with a clean towel and let sit for 1 hour until doubled in volume.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, beat the remaining egg. Brush the tops and sides of each roll with the egg. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar. Bake on center rack for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.