Finnish Strawberry Snow (Mansikkalumi)
These creamy treats can also be frozen in molds and served in place of ice cream. You can substitute 2 packages (10 ounces) frozen strawberries, defrosted and drained for the fresh strawberries.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, stems removed
- ½ cup sugar
- 8 tsp. meringue powder
- ½ cup warm water
- ¾ cup whipped cream
- Additional sliced strawberries for garnish
- Combine the strawberries and sugar in a bowl and pound with a potato masher into a smooth purée (or use a food processor to purée the berries).
- Using an electric mixer, mix the meringue powder and warm water, then whip to stiff peaks.
- With a spatula, gently fold first the strawberry purée and then the whipped cream into the whipped meringue.
- Transfer to individual molds or ramekins, garnish with whole strawberries, and serve.