Fish Cakes (Tod Man Pla)
Be careful not to over work the mixture because the cakes will be very chewy.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup plus 1 tsp. sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 small pickling cucumbers, very thinly sliced
- 1 small serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 8 oz. cod, minced
- 4 Tbsp. red curry paste
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. grated lime zest
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped green beans
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- In a medium saucepan, bring white vinegar, 1⁄3 cup sugar, water, and salt to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat and let cool. Transfer the cooled mixture to a medium bowl and add cucumbers, serrano pepper, shallot, ginger, and cilantro. Toss to combine. Let the salad rest for 20 minutes.
- While cucumber salad rests, combine fish, curry paste, fish sauce, remaining 1 teaspoon sugar, and egg in a stainless steel or sturdy mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly. Stir in lime zest and green beans. Form mixture into small discs.
- Heat oil in a fry pan over medium heat to reach 350°F. Deep-fry fish cakes until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve with the cucumber salad.