Fish Roe Dip
The pink coloring of the carp roe, or tarama, in this recipe is a food dye. In Greece, this salad can often be beige in color, as undyed roe is often used.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 loaf 2-day-old white bread
- 1⁄2 cup carp roe
- 1 large onion, peeled and grated
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Remove outside crust and soak inner bread in water; squeeze well to drain and set aside.
- Place fish roe in food processor/blender; mix a minute or so to break down eggs. Add grated onion to processor; continue mixing. Add moistened bread in stages to processor/blender; mix well.
- Slowly add lemon juice and 2 cups olive oil slowly and alternately while constantly mixing until both are incorporated into the tarama.
- Refrigerate 1 hour. Garnish with remaining olive oil.