Fit Cream of Broccoli Soup
Silken tofu makes an excellent substitute for dairy cream or milk in this simple, tasty soup. Try it topped with toasted pine nuts for an extra crunchy flavor.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 1⁄2 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup minced parsley
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 Tbsp. white or yellow miso
- 1 package (12 oz.) silken tofu
- 1⁄2 tsp. sea salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the florets off the broccoli stems; peel and chop stem.
- In a large heavy saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in oil until just tender; add the parsley, stock and broccoli and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove a small amount of broth to a bowl and dissolve the miso in it. Return it to the soup pot and stir; remove pot from heat.
- Crumble silken tofu into broth; use a hand-wand mixer to purée until smooth. An alternative is to ladle the soup into a blender in batches and purée until smooth. Add salt and pepper; serve either warm or chilled.