Five-Spice Roast Chicken
Five spice powder is a blend of spices (sichuan peppercorns, star anise, whole cloves, cinnamon, and fennel seeds) that is commonly used in Chinese cooking. You can buy it in the spice section of most supermarkets, Asian markets, and online.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. five-spice powder
- ½ tsp. bottled minced garlic
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. brown sugar
- 3 lb. chicken breast halves, bone-in
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Spray a roasting rack with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, five-spice powder, garlic, salt, pepper, and brown sugar.
- Rub the five-spice mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Place the seasoned chicken in a large roasting pan with foil, skin side up.
- Roast the chicken for about 30 minutes, or until cooked through and juices run clear.