These biscuits are light and flaky with a fabulous taste, for about half the cost of those tubes of refrigerated dough!
Serves: 9Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp. melted butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and mix well. Cut cold butter into small pieces and add to flour mixture. Cut in, with two knives or a pastry blender, until the largest pieces of butter are the size of peas.
- Stir in buttermilk all at once until a dough forms. Form into a ball and place on floured surface. Pat into an 8-inch square. Using a biscuit cutter, cut into 9 biscuits. Place on ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Brush with melted butter
- Bake for 15 minutes until biscuits are golden brown. Serve immediately.