Flaky Butter Pie Crust
This makes enough pastry to line a 9-inch pie plate for a single-crust pie.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup cake flour
- 1 Tbsp. confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 5 Tbsp. cold vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup ice-cold water
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine all-purpose flour, cake flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse a few times to combine ingredients.
- Sprinkle pieces of butter over flour mixture; stir into flour mixture lightly, then pulse about 6 times. Sprinkle shortening pieces over mixture, stir in lightly, and then pulse 6 to 8 times. Sprinkle with half of ice water; pulse 5 times. Sprinkle with remaining water; pulse about 6 times, or until pastry dough begins to form large clumps. Empty into a large bowl and knead 2 or 3 times just until dough holds together to form a ball. Chill for about 20 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface, and then fit it into pie plate. Crimp the edge all around and cut away excess dough.
- Fill pie shell and bake according to recipe instructions.