Flan Parisien (Parisian Flan)
This egg custard pie is also a great snack for kids at quatre-heures, the 4 P.M. traditional snack time.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 vanilla pod
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 8 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Press the pie crust into a 9-inch tart pan.
- Slice the top outer layer of the vanilla pod in half lengthwise. In a large saucepan, slowly bring the milk and the vanilla pod to a boil over medium-high heat. When it begins to boil, remove from heat. Using a teaspoon, scrape the inside of the pod, then put the seeds back in the milk. Cover and let vanilla infuse the milk for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, break the eggs and whisk them steadily with the sugar. Add the cornstarch, combine well, then pour ⅓ of the warm milk in the bowl. Whisk continuously until combined, and pour back in the saucepan with the rest of the milk. Whisk continuously over medium-low heat until the first bubbles appear, then immediately take the saucepan off the heat.
- Pour in the crust and bake for 35 minutes.
- Let it cool down at room temperature, then refrigerate for 3 hours before serving.