Flank Steak Gyros
A delicious steak gyro in a cozy pita pocket!
Serves: 4Prep: 15 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 pound Simple Truth Organic™ Beef Flank Steak
- 1⁄4 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Plain Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh Simple Truth Organic™ Dill Weed, chopped (can substitute dried)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 6” pita pockets
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cut the flank steak into thin strips against the grain. To make slicing easier, place the meat in the freezer for about 10 minutes and then slice.
- To make the marinade, prop open a large resealable plastic bag and add the olive oil, oregano and salt and pepper and mix well. Add the meat slices to the bag and turn to coat. Place in the refrigerator and let marinate 2-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- To make the sauce, mix together the yogurt, dill, garlic and lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside.
- Spritz the pitas with a little water, wrap in foil and place in the oven to warm.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove meat from bag and discard marinade. Add meat slices to pan and sauté until brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Sauté the onion and bell pepper until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Return the meat and any juices to the skillet and stir until heated.
- Arrange the pita bread on plates and stuff with the beef mixture. Spoon some yogurt sauce over the meat and top with feta to serve.