Flognarde aux Poires (Fruit Custard Cake)
Save to My Recipes
Flognarde is a typical fruit and egg custard cake created in the center of France. It can be made all year long, with in-season fruit. Here is a recipe with pears.
Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 45 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 3 medium pears, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 3 eggs
- 6 Tbsp. brown sugar, divided
- 5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Butter a medium baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter. Lay all the pears at the bottom of the dish.
- In a large bowl, break the eggs and whisk them steadily with 5 tablespoons sugar. Add the flour and the baking powder. Whisk continuously until combined, then add the milk. Keep whisking until smooth then pour in the baking dish over the pears. Dice 1 tablespoon butter and sprinkle on top of the custard.
- Put in the oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350°F and cook again for 20 minutes. As soon as you take the dish out, sprinkle 1 tablespoon brown sugar all over the top.
- Serve lukewarm.