Flourless Chocolate Cake
Luxury incarnate, this voluptuous chocolate cake is a vehicle for fine chocolate, so use the best you can get. Chocolate is high in heart-healthy antioxidants.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 large eggs
- 1 lb. semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces the size of a hazelnut
- ¼ cup strong brewed coffee
- ¼ cup cocoa nibs
- Heat oven to 325°F. Grease an 8" or 9" springform pan and line the bottom with waxed paper. Wrap the outside of the pan in foil to prevent leaks. Prepare a pot of boiling water.
- Using a handheld or standing electric mixer, beat the eggs until double in volume (about 1 quart), about 5 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate, butter, and coffee in a double boiler until very smooth, stirring occasionally. Fold in the whipped eggs in 3 additions, mixing only enough as is necessary to incorporate them. Pour into prepared springform pan.
- Place springform into a deep roasting pan and place on the lower middle rack of the oven. Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come about halfway up on the sides of the cake. Bake about 25 minutes until the cake rises slightly, has a thin wispy crust, and reads 140°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center.
- Transfer springform to a wire rack and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate overnight. Top with cocoa nibs before serving.