Flourless Chocolate-Pecan Cake
The secret to this recipe is ground pecans. Toasting the pecans gives the cake a richer flavor.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups pecans
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Fit a circle of parchment paper in the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pulse pecans in a food processor until finely ground, but not yet a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler. Stir in ground pecans, milk, vanilla, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites and 1⁄2 cup sugar to soft peaks. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add egg yolks and remaining sugar and beat until pale yellow. Fold in chocolate mixture. Fold in half of egg whites, followed by second half.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake 45 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes, Run a knife around the edge of the pan and remove the cake pan sides.
- Sift confectioners’ sugar over cake before serving.