Focaccia Bread with Cheddar Cheese
You'll need a mixer with a dough hook to make this version of the classic Italian bread.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 2 tsp. fast-acting dry yeast (1 package)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 3 cups plus 3 Tbsp. unbleached white flour
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 3⁄4 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- In the bowl of a sturdy mixer, add water, yeast, salt, and 3 cups flour. Mix on low for about 2 minutes, until ingredients begin to form a ball. Attach the dough hook to the mixer, then add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1⁄2 cup of cheese and mix for about 5 minutes, until smooth but not elastic. Add additional 3 tablespoons of flour if needed to produce smooth dough. Remove dough from mixer, place in a bowl, and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, turning until it is lightly coated. Cover with warm towel and let rise for 1 hour.
- Remove dough from bowl and put on a floured surface. Divide dough in two. Press dough with your hands until each piece is about 15 inches long and 8 inches wide, then transfer to separate greased baking sheets. With a spray bottle, mist each the dough lightly with water. Sprinkle both loaves evenly with remaining 1⁄4 cup of grated cheese.
- Bake each loaf 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.