Focaccia for Pizza Crust
This recipe makes 2 large loaves of focaccia. For pizza, focaccia loaves should be split in half horizontally, with each round serving as a pizza crust. Whole loaves can be topped with oil, herbs, and hard cheese—but saucy toppings will slide off.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1½ cups warm water, about 100°F
- 7 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried Italian herb blend
- Dissolve the yeast in water and let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Slowly add the yeast, water, and ⅔ cup olive oil. Stir until ingredients are well blended. Sprinkle on dried herbs.
- Turn focaccia dough onto a well-floured surface and knead with the heels of your hands for 10 minutes. Place dough on a dry surface and cover with a large bowl. Let stand in a warm place for at least 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and divide in half. Smooth dough into two well-oiled pizza pans. Brush tops with extra virgin olive oil and let stand for 1 hour. Bake focaccias in a 400°F preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.