Focaccia with Green Olives and Dill
This homemade focaccia captures the flavors of the Mediterranean with green olives and fresh dill.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1¼ cups ice water
- 2 tsp. fast-acting dry yeast (1 package)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 3 cups plus 3 Tbsp. unbleached white flour, divided
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup sliced green olives
- 1 Tbsp. fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- In the bowl of a sturdy mixer, add water, yeast, salt, and 3 cups of flour. Mix on low for about 2 minutes, until ingredients begin to form a ball.
- Attach the dough hook to the mixer, then add 2 tablespoons olive oil and olives, and mix for about 5 minutes, until smooth but not elastic. Add additional 3 tablespoons of flour if needed to produce smooth dough. Remove dough from mixer, place in a bowl, and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, turning until it is lightly coated. Cover with warm towel and let rise for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Remove dough from bowl and put on a floured surface. Divide dough in two. Press dough with your hands until each piece is about 15" long and 8" wide, then transfer to separate greased baking sheets. With a spray bottle, mist each the dough lightly with water. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake each loaf 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.