Forest Mushroom Soup
Using both fresh and dried mushrooms adds texture and depth of flavor to this rich and creamy soup.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 5 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup dried mushrooms, cut into 1⁄2-inch strips
- 3⁄4 cup Madeira wine
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely diced
- 2 lbs. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Spray a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with nonstick olive oil cooking spray.
- Rinse the dried mushroom strips under cold water and soak in the wine for 1 hour. Transfer the mushrooms to a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with a slotted spoon, setting aside the wine.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and sauté the onions in butter until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add fresh mushrooms and sauté for another 5 to 10 minutes, until mushrooms are soft. Transfer the onions and mushrooms to the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
- Ladle out 1 cup of the mushrooms and onions and purée with the cream in a blender or food processor. Add the creamed mixture and the reserved wine to the slow cooker. Cover and cook 1 hour.