Forest Mushroom Soup
Using both fresh and dried mushrooms adds texture and depth of flavor to this rich and creamy soup.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 5 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup dried mushrooms, cut into ½" strips
- ¾ cup Madeira wine
- ½ cup butter
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely diced
- 2 lbs. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Spray a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with nonstick olive oil cooking spray.
- Rinse the dried mushroom strips under cold water and soak in the wine for 1 hour. Transfer the mushrooms to a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with a slotted spoon, setting aside the wine.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and sauté the onions in butter until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add fresh mushrooms and sauté for another 5–10 minutes, until mushrooms are soft. Transfer the onions and mushrooms to the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken stock, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
- Ladle out 1 cup of the mushrooms and onions and purée with the cream in a blender or food processor. Add the creamed mixture and the reserved wine to the slow cooker. Cover and cook 1 hour.