Four-Cheese Baked Penne with Prosciutto
This is like macaroni and cheese, but so much better. The rich, creamy cheese sauce and crispy prosciutto take this baked pasta to the next level. Serve with a dash of cayenne or crushed red pepper for more spice.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 oz. gluten-free penne pasta
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- cooking spray
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¼ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. gluten-free Cajun seasoning
- 1½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shredded fontina cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 oz. prosciutto, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and 1 teaspoon salt and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9" × 12" baking dish with gluten-free nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour and stir until a thick paste forms, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, cream, remaining salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning.
- Heat another 4 minutes, or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Immediately remove from heat and stir in Cheddar, mozzarella, and fontina. Mix until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Stir pasta into the cheese sauce.
- Pour pasta mixture into baking dish and top with Parmesan cheese and prosciutto.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until prosciutto is crispy and cheese is bubbly.