Fra Diavolo Sauce
You will likely see Fra Diavolo sauce offered over lobster or seafood and pasta in restaurants; however, you can use this spicy version of Old World Gravy just like regular marinara over pasta or pasta and meatballs.
Serves: 32Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 5 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 yellow onions
- 1 bulb garlic
- 7 lbs. plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. pork bones
- 1 lb. hot Italian pepperoni
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 1 cup hearty red drinking wine
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1⁄2 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Peel and dice the onions. Peel and mince the garlic. Clean and roughly chop the tomatoes. Clean and gently chop the parsley.
- Heat the oil to medium-high temperature in a large stockpot. Add the pork bones, pepperoni, and sausage, and brown for 10 minutes. Add the onions and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, wine, and stock. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 hours, uncovered and stirring occasionally.
- Add the herbs and spices, and simmer for 2 more hours, uncovered and stirring occasionally.
- Adjust seasoning to taste, and serve or store as desired. Store in sealed containers and refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.