Freeze and Bake Lasagna
To serve without freezing, cover tightly with foil and bake at 350°F for 1 hour. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese, and bake another 10 to 15 minutes, until casserole is bubbling and cheese browns.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef with onion and garlic until beef is no longer pink, about 10 minutes; drain. Add tomatoes and mix well.
- In large bowl, combine ricotta, egg, salt, and pepper and mix well. Stir in 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese.
- In 13-by-9-inch baking dish lined with freezer wrap, place 1 cup ground beef mixture. Lay 3 uncooked lasagna noodles on top. Spread one third of ricotta filling over noodles and top with one third of the remaining ground beef mixture. Repeat layers twice, ending with ground beef mixture. Chill in refrigerator, then wrap and freeze until firm. Pop lasagna out of pan, wrap again, attach 2 plastic bags with grated Parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella cheese. Label and freeze.
- To thaw and reheat: Unwrap lasagna and place in 13-by-9-inch pan; thaw overnight in refrigerator. Bake casserole, covered, at 350°F for 60 to 75 minutes, until hot in center. Uncover, sprinkle with reserved cheeses, and bake 15 minutes longer until pasta is tender and casserole is bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.