Freezer French Toast
Sour cream adds wonderful flavor and makes the slices of French toast almost cakelike in the center. Keep these slices in the freezer and defrost a few for an easy weekday breakfast.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ cup butter
- 9 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 Tbsp. sour cream
- 1½ cup milk
- ¾ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 24 thick slices bread
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place butter on 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Heat the pans for 2 to 4 minutes or until butter is melted.
- In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, cream, sour cream, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt and mix well until blended. Dip each slice of bread into egg mixture and let stand for 1 to 2 minutes until bread absorbs some of the egg mixture. Carefully place each piece of coated bread into the hot butter on the baking sheets.
- Bake at 400°F for 5 minutes until bottom of toast is golden brown. Carefully turn slices with a spatula and bake for 6 minutes longer until bottoms are golden brown. Remove from pan and let cool completely on wire rack.
- Flash freeze slices in single layer on cookie sheets. When frozen solid, pack into zipper-lock freezer bags, label bags, seal, and freeze.
- To thaw and reheat: Place frozen French toast slices in toaster and toast until thoroughly heated and crisp, or bake in preheated 375°F oven for 9 to 12 minutes or until thoroughly heated and crisp.