Freezer Macaroni and Cheese Bake
This baked casserole is one you will make over and over again. Kids love it and it is a good choice for potluck suppers.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. yellow or Dijon mustard
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Boil pasta, undercooking by 5 minutes and drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add flour and mix well. Slowly add the cream to the butter mixture, stirring as you pour. Bring to just under a boil, stirring constantly until sauce thickens, approximately 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper, mustard, and 2 cups of the shredded cheese. Continue to stir until all of the cheese is melted. Gently stir in macaroni and remove from heat to cool. Freeze in a freezer bag.
- Grease a large baking dish and put defrosted macaroni and cheese in it. Stir the milk into the macaroni and cheese. Top with remaining shredded cheddar. Bake at 375°F for 30 to 40 minutes.