Freezer Pesto Sauce
Spinach helps keep the pesto nice and green, and adds to the nutrition of this easy sauce.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 1⁄2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 4 1⁄2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine basil, spinach, garlic, lemon juice, and cheese in food processor or blender and pulse several times until mixture is fine. Then add pine nuts, salt, and pepper; pulse several times until mixture is fine and evenly blended. While machine is running, slowly add olive oil until a thick paste forms.
- If necessary, add a few tablespoons water to mixture until desired consistency. Pour pesto into ice cube trays and freeze until firm. Package frozen cubes in zipper-lock bags, label, seal, and freeze.
- To thaw and use: Remove from freezer and let stand at room temperature for 30 to 40 minutes before using to coat cooked pasta or in other recipes.