Freezer Pie Crust
When you have several rounds of pastry stored in your freezer, a main dish pie or dessert is only minutes away. Fit the thawed rounds into a 9" pie pan and flute edges.
Serves: 36Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 2 packages (3 oz.) cream cheese
- 6 Tbsp. buttermilk
- Place flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Cut in cold butter, shortening, and cold cream cheese until small, even crumbs form. Sprinkle buttermilk into bowl, tossing crumbs with fork until a dough forms.
- Gather dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Then, divide dough into 6 balls. On lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into an 11" round. Flash freeze rounds on cookie sheets. When frozen solid, wrap in freezer wrap, label, seal, and freeze.
- To thaw and use: Let frozen pastry stand at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes, until thawed. Use as directed in recipes.