Freezer Roasted Eggplant Dip
By adding salt to the eggplant before roasting, you help draw out the eggplant’s natural bitter juices during the cooking process.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 large eggplant
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil, plus 2 tsp. used for roasting eggplant
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh chopped basil leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- To roast the eggplant, preheat oven to 450°F. Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise, and put small cuts across the flesh of the eggplant, being careful not to cut the skin. Rub olive oil and salt over the flesh of the eggplant, and place face down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until it is soft and looks like it will collapse. Let cool, discarding any juice.
- While eggplant is cooling, combine remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Slide the skin off the eggplant and add the flesh to the bowl. Mix. Freeze in a freezer bag.
- Serve at room temperature.