Freezer Sweet Potato Biscuits
These biscuits make a delicious dessert item when glazed with any white, vanilla, or orange-flavored frosting. Warm frosting in microwave and drizzle over thawed biscuits.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Use a pastry blender (or 2 knives), and cut in shortening. In a separate bowl, mix milk and sweet potatoes. Combine the sweet potato mixture with the flour mixture. Knead for about 30 seconds, then roll out onto a lightly floured board.
- Roll to 1⁄2 inch thickness, then cut with a biscuit cutter. If you don’t have a biscuit cutter, use the rim of a drinking glass to cut biscuits. Place biscuits on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes at 425°F. Cool for 30 minutes and freeze.
- Warm defrosted biscuits in a 425°F oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until desired temperature is reached.