Freezer-to-Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
This elegant dish is a variation on traditional beef Stroganoff. To cook without freezing, toss steak cubes with flour mixture and cook as directed. Serve with cooked egg noodles.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. sirloin tip steak
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. mustard
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. dried marjoram
- 1 can (10 oz.) sliced mushrooms
- 1 package (12 oz.) egg noodles
- 1 cup sour cream
- Cut steak into 1½" pieces and flash freeze in single layer on a baking sheet. When frozen solid, pack into a 1-quart zip-top plastic freezer bag, seal, label, and place in freezer.
- Combine onions, garlic, olive oil, mustard, broth, and Worcestershire sauce in another zip-top plastic freezer bag; label and seal. Combine flour, salt, pepper, and marjoram in third zipper-lock bag, label, seal, and place in gallon zipper-lock bag along with beef and sauce mixture. Reserve canned mushrooms and egg noodles in pantry. Reserve sour cream in refrigerator.
- To thaw and cook: Thaw beef and sauce mixture overnight in refrigerator. Toss beef with flour mixture. Place thawed sauce mixture into a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker along with undrained mushrooms and coated beef. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours until beef and vegetables are tender.
- In medium bowl, combine sour cream with 1 cup of the hot liquid from the slow cooker and mix well with wire whisk. Stir into slow cooker until blended; cook on high for 30 minutes until mixture is thickened. Meanwhile, cook egg noodles as directed on package, drain, and serve with Stroganoff.