French Cheese–Filled Veal Roulades
Be creative—you can use any number of stuffings. The stuffing of peppery Boursin cheese and oregano is spicy, a nice counterpoint to the creamy sauce.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 veal scallops, pounded very thin
- 6 oz. pepper-flavored Boursin cheese
- 1 tsp. dried oregano or 2 tsp. fresh
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup light cream
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg or paprika
- Trim the pounded veal to resemble rectangles. In a medium bowl, combine cheese, oregano, and egg to make the stuffing. Spread stuffing on veal. Roll and tie with kitchen string.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and lightly brown veal. Add wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Transfer veal to a platter. To the sauce in the pan add the cream, Parmesan cheese, and nutmeg and raise heat to medium. Stir sauce and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Pour sauce over veal.