French Country Mussels
Purchase mussels from a reliable fishmonger. They are beautiful and delicious, with shiny black shells and creamy beige flesh.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- ⅛ tsp. white pepper
- ½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 lbs. mussels, scrubbed
- ½ cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- In 8-quart stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender and just beginning to brown, about 7 to 9 minutes. Carefully add tomatoes, pepper, thyme, and wine. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Add mussels and cover pan. Cook, shaking pan frequently, over medium-high heat until the mussels open, about 5 to 6 minutes. Discard any mussels that do not open. Serve mussels immediately in soup bowls with the sauce; sprinkle with parsley.