French Dip Sandwiches
These sandwiches are stuffed with very tender beef cooked in the slow cooker.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. bottom round beef roast
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ cup apple juice
- 6 crusty French sandwich rolls
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Trim excess fat off beef and rub with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat and brown beef on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes. Place beef in 4-quart slow cooker with broth, bay leaf, shallots, thyme, and apple juice. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours until beef is very tender.
- Remove beef from broth and strain broth. Cool beef slightly and slice it thinly against the grain.
- Preheat broiler. Slice sandwich rolls in half and spread cut sides with butter. Broil 2 minutes until lightly toasted. Pile sliced beef on the rolls and serve broth on the side for dipping.