French Green Beans with Fondue Béchamel Sauce
This recipe allows you to enjoy the flavor of cheese fondue with regular meals. Serve with baked chicken thighs for a complete meal.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. cream
- ½ cup total of Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 lb. fresh French-style green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Warm the milk in a small saucepan. In a separate saucepan, melt the butter on low heat and stir in the flour. Be careful not to let the flour burn.
- Add the cream to the butter-and-flour mixture. Blend well, and then slowly pour into the warmed milk. Cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, whisking continuously to form a creamy sauce.
- Add the cheese, a handful at a time. Stir the cheese continually in a sideways figure eight pattern. Wait until the cheese is completely melted before adding more. Don’t allow the fondue mixture to boil. Sprinkle the caraway seeds on top and serve immediately.
- Warm the sauce on low heat, without allowing to come to a boil.
- Bring the broth to a boil. Add the green beans and gently simmer for about 4 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Drain, pour the fondue sauce over the beans, and sprinkle with black pepper. Serve hot.