French Lentil Chili
Serve this chili as a vegetarian alternative to meat-based chilies or as a spicy alternative to ordinary lentil soup.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 lb. French lentils du Puy
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- In a heavy soup pot, combine oil, onion, and garlic; sauté over medium-high heat 3 minutes.
- Place lentils in strainer; rinse well. Pick out any bits of debris or discolored lentils. Add to pot along with 6 cups of broth. Reduce heat to medium; cook 30 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chili powder, and cumin; continue cooking 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender and chili reaches desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper; remove from heat. Garnish with parsley.