Save to My Recipes
This French egg sauce is part of many recipes and a great condiment. Of course, you should always make it from scratch.
Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 2 days 10 minutes
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. red wine or cider vinegar, divided
- 4 cups canola oil
- 3 Tbsp. boiling water
- Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- In a bowl, using a whisk (or in a stand mixer), whisk the egg yolks with the salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- Add the oil, at first drop by drop, and go on whisking. After a couple of minutes, pour the oil more steadily, but slowly, still whisking firmly. Add the rest of the vinegar as you go on whisking.
- When the sauce is thick enough, add the tablespoons of boiling water: It will help the sauce stay thick.
- Put in the refrigerator and store for no more than 48 hours.