Crispy and light, these meringues are perfect for teas, holidays, and showers. They can be tinted with food coloring if you like.
Makes: 36Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 1⁄4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick baking spray.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks start to form. Gradually beat in sugar until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Transfer mixture to a pastry bag. Pipe mounds on prepared baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in oven. Keep oven door cracked open by using a wooden spoon handle to keep it from closing all the way.
- Bake 3 hours until the meringues are dry and crispy.