French Onion Soup Gratin
Cozy up with a bowl of bready, cheesy goodness! This classic soup brings forth all the feels on those chilly evenings when your hunger is hankering for a little extra.
Serves: 4Prep: 5 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 can (48 oz.) chicken broth
- 1 can (14 oz.) beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh Simple Truth Organic™ Thyme
- 1 Simple Truth Organic™ Bay Leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices Simple Truth Organic™ Ready to Bake Rustic Italian Style Artisan Bread
- 8 slices Gruyere or Swiss cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Stir in salt, red onions and sweet onions. Cook 35 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized and almost syrupy.
- Add chicken broth, beef broth, red wine and Worcestershire sauce and mix. Add parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard herbs.
- Reduce heat to low, mix in vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep over low heat to stay hot while you prepare bread.
- Preheat broiler. Arrange bread on a baking sheet and broil 3 minutes, turning once, until well toasted on both sides. Remove from heat; do not turn off broiler.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, arrange 4 large oven-safe bowls or crocks. Fill each bowl 2/3 full with hot soup. Top each bowl with 1 slice toasted bread (you might have to cut the bread to fit), 2 slices Gruyere or Swiss cheese and 1/4 of the Parmesan cheese.
- Broil 5 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. Sprinkle a little bit of paprika over the top of each one and serve.