French Onion Soup in the Oven
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. white onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 can (48 oz.) chicken broth
- 12 slices crusty baguette, toasted
- 2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese
- Heat oven to 425°F. Combine onions, wine, and butter in a 13-by-9-inch baking pan. Bake until onion is very soft and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Heat broth to a simmer in a saucepan. Divide the warm onions among 6 ovenproof soup bowls or crocks. Ladle the broth over the onions. Top each with 2 slices of baguette. Top with cheese. Place under the broiler 6 inches away from the heat source. Broil until the cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes.