French Onion Soup
Savor the flavors of this decadent soup, topped with bubbling cheese.
Serves: 4Prep: 15 minutesCook: 1 hour 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 pounds Vidalia or sweet onions (about 8 medium-size onions), sliced julienne
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon Private Selection™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1⁄2 cup sherry
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Private Selection™ Baguette, sliced ½” thick
- 2 cups grated Swiss or Gruyère cheese
- Parsley, for garnish
- In a large stockpot, sauté onions in butter and olive oil until browned. Deglaze with sherry and let reduce. Add stock and thyme and simmer 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place baguette slices on sheet pan. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls or crocks, place 2 toasted baguette slices on top and sprinkle tops with Swiss or Gruyere. Bake crocks 2 additional minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with parsley and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.