French Onion Soup with Cheesy Toast
Traditionally the soup is topped with loads of cheese and bread, but in this slimmed-down version, the cheesy bread is served on the side.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 9 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ Tbsp. butter
- ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 4 thin slices Italian bread
- 4 tsp. shredded Swiss cheese
- Place the onions, butter, oil, sugar, and flour into a 4-quart slow cooker. Cook on high for 40 minutes. Add the stock and reduce to low. Cook for 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Sprinkle each slice of bread with 1 teaspoon Swiss cheese and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve toast alongside a bowl of soup.