French Pavlova with Strawberries
This impressive cake has a cloud-like interior, crackly exterior and is topped with whipped cream and strawberry jam.
Serves: 12Prep: 1 hour 30 minutesCook: 1 hour 30 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup + 4 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup strawberry jam
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 250°F. On parchment paper, draw 9” circle. Place paper ink-side down on baking sheet.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whisk egg whites at high speed 1 minute, until frothy. Slowly add 1 cup sugar; continue whisking until meringue reaches glossy, stiff peaks, about 3 minutes. Using rubber spatula, fold in vinegar, cornstarch and vanilla.
- In center of parchment circle, mound meringue; use spatula to evenly spread out toward edges, forming large disk.
- Bake 90 minutes. Turn oven off; allow meringue to cool completely in oven, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, combine strawberries, jam and 2 tablespoons sugar. In separate bowl, whip heavy cream with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar until firm peaks form.
- Gently transfer cooled meringue to serving plate; top with whipped cream and strawberries.