French Pistou with Cheese
The French version of pesto, pistou is used to flavor vegetable, seafood, and chicken dishes. It is the main ingredient in Soup au Pisto, a popular French soup made with dried beans.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ cups packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 or 4 large garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp. Gruyère cheese, grated
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chop the basil leaves. Smash, peel, and chop the garlic cloves. Process the chopped basil, garlic, and grated Gruyère cheese in a food processor or blender. Slowly add the olive oil while continuing to process, until the pesto is a creamy paste. Season with the pepper.