French Red Bell Pepper Mayonnaise
This is a version of rouille, the red pepper garlic mayonnaise served with fish soup in Provence. It is also a great dip for boiled new potatoes, grilled asparagus, or steamed artichokes, in addition to being a zingy spread for crostini and sandwiches.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup roasted red bell peppers
- ½ cup stale bread cubes
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1 large pasteurized egg
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- Purée the roasted red bell peppers in a food processor with the bread. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Put the pressed garlic, egg, and lemon juice in the food processor and pulse briefly to combine.
- Turn the machine on and slowly pour the olive oil in a thin stream through the feed tube in the top until all of it is incorporated and emulsified. Add salt.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl with the peppers and stir well to combine.