French Roast Turkey
The signature main course for a holiday meal or a special family dinner.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 turkey (8 lbs.)
- 10 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch fresh tarragon, chopped
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oven to 450°F. Place the turkey breast-side down on a large cutting board and remove the backbone. Turn it over and place it breast-side up in a large roasting pan.
- Arrange the garlic and tarragon under the turkey and in the crevices of the wings and legs. Drizzle the turkey with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes, remove from the oven, turn the oven down to 400°F, baste the turkey with the juices, and return to the oven.
- Cook until the internal temperature of the turkey is 165°F–170°F on a meat thermometer, generally about 3–3½ hours for an 8-pound turkey. Let the turkey rest before carving. Remove herbs and garlic before serving.