French Toast Casserole with Cream Cheese
French bread, a little sugar, and vanilla make this baked pain perdu, a Louisiana version of French toast, extra special. Serve pain perdu with melted butter and your favorite syrup or honey, or lighten them up with a light drizzle of butter and a sprinkling of confectioners’ sugar.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 slices day-old French bread
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup warm maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Break or slice bread into 1-inch pieces and reserve.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs with sugar, milk, and vanilla. Pour mixture into a shallow dish. Put a few bread pieces in the dish and let soak for several seconds, turning once. Form a layer of soaked bread in the prepared baking dish. Crumble cream cheese over the top. Place another layer of bread on top of cream cheese. Spoon any remaining egg mixture over bread. Dust with cinnamon.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve with maple syrup.